Saragrahi.Org's Featured Presentation “Two”
Srila Prabhupada's Antya-lila
??? Was He Systematically Poisoned ???
Time Period “Prologue”
A Introductory Mix of the Last Six Months of Srila Prabhupada Being Present
Segment 3
Abhirama dasa August 3 - 7, 1977

On the next day, August 3rd, I went to Delhi.  And on August 4th I went to the U.S. Embassy to inquire about Srila Prabhupada’s immigration status, and I did not have much success.  They said that since his visa was already expired, it could not be renewed.  Then I went to see Asutosa Ojha, who was one of the astrologers that had given some predictions to Srila Prabhupada.  He was at 39 Dharya Ganj road in Delhi.  After studying his chart, he recommended that Srila Prabhupada should wear a blue sapphire for his Illness.  I then visited several large jewelry shops, and checked on blue sapphires.

On August 4th, I called Rameswara Svami and told him of Srila Prabhupada’s failing health, and his need for a blue sapphire.  On the same day Gurukåpa Svami called me from Hong Kong, after hearing from Rameswara Maharaja.  He said he would arrive in Våndavana on Monday.

On August 5th I returned to Våndavana, and saw Srila Prabhupada, and I gave him the report on my trip to Delhi.  He said that when I buy the jewel, I should not let it out of my possession.  He said that I should bring it to him, and put it in a cloth.  He said to roll it in a cloth, and fold the roll of cloth, and to tie it in a pouch, which would be tied around his arm.  And that I should bring the jeweler in his presence, and the jeweler would fit the ring, and the jewel in front of us.  And then the jeweler would go out, and make his fitting, and then come back and mount the jewel in the ring in our presence.  So, at no time would the jewel leave Prabhupada’s sight.  Srila Prabhupada was then telling me that when he was a child, he saw that jewels were sold on the street.  He said that there used to be vendors just standing on the street, selling jewels.

“People were so much honest in those days”. said Prabhupada.

And then he went on to explain that in those days, people used to buy something of value, even if they would buy a plate, they would not buy this paper or plastic, but they would buy a least a brass plate.  He said,

“This is the wise system, that even a pauper could buy a brass plate for 2 rupees and, if need be, he could always sell it for a least 1 rupee.  But today, buy plastic or paper and there is no value”.


So, he was talking about this subject for a short time.  Then Tamal Krishna Gosvami asked Srila Prabhupada if my wife could cook, and Srila Prabhupada said that he did not want a woman around when he had so many young men servants.  Therefore, she could not cook.  I told my wife and she became very depressed, and she cried in her room.  After some time, she resolved that she would get a Deity of Srila Prabhupada and worship the Deity.  Just at that moment, when she made that decision, 

Srila Prabhupada called Tamal into his room and told him that he would test her cooking.  So straight away, she made some samosa  and kachoris and Srila Prabhupada liked them and ate a whole samosa.  He told her,

“I have not eaten for weeks, but now I am eating this”.

And then he said to me,.

“She knows the art’.

“She had little time to prepare”, said I.

“That means she is an expert.   So, you may cook, but no men in the kitchen.  If you need assistance, your husband can help.  Is that all right?”

“Of course, ”,.  My wife agreed.

So, on August 6th, she began cooking some meals, and Prabhupada was tasting.  I would serve him in his prasada room.  We were enjoying some hype currently about his eating.

August 7th, my wife prepared so many nice things, fruit juices and mixtures of fruit juice and milk products, and different types of foodstuffs.  And Prabhupada was tasting, little bit, little bit he was starting to eat again.  On that day I noted that Surabi Maharaja arrived, and gave Prabhupada a report from a numerologist in Jaipur.  This numerologist had predicted that the next 3 months would be very critical for his health, and that he would recover and travel in 3 months.

“This is a good indication”.   Said Srila Prabhupada.

He was shown the Deity of himself made by Dhananjaya.  Srila Prabhupada was grinning, he liked it.  Although he could not see very well, he touched the Deity.  His eyes were failing gradually throughout this time.  He could not see too clearly and he was asking us,

“It is nice?”

“Oh yes, Srila Prabhupada, it is nice”.

He then smiled and said,

“Then it is all right”.

In the evening at 9:30 I went up again to take care of Srila Prabhupada and he was outside on his back porch under the mosquito net, sitting up, chanting quietly.  He was chanting on his beads, rolling, tumbling his beads.  Seeing him sitting up was bit unusual for this time.  It was a beautiful night in Våndavana, and there was a nice breeze blowing, and you could hear the kirtanas, and peacocks.  A most incredible atmosphere.  Srila Prabhupada simply sat there very silently.  I sat by his side, and did not make any sounds.  He was tumbling his beads.  Occasionally, with his change of breathing, you would hear “Ram… Ram..’.  Then at about 10:30, he laid down and I massaged him until he gradually fell asleep.

Your Comment(s), will be Appreciated! "Thank You"

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x