Article by Upendranath Dasa
Dogma Verse Science
We Should all Become Adept Philosopher-Scientists and Sift the Data Ourselves
We should all become adept philosopher-scientists, and sift the data ourselves
. We should happily shoulder this responsibility, and reject the escape from freedom, for therein lies our greatest potential for personal growth.
We should avoid those who discourage us from taking this responsibility to become asammoha, and seek the association of those who encourage us to do so, for those persons are our genuine well-wishers in Krishna consciousness.
When we say that the highest welfare work is to distinguish reality from illusion for the benefit of all (SB 1.1.2), we do not mean that we do this work for others. We should teach others how to do this work for themselves.
We do not teach people how to become dependent and clingy in the name of Krishna consciousness, and cooperation to serve Srila Prabhupada.
We are meant to teach each person to fly his or her own plane. To do this we must teach them the science of Krishna consciousness in parampara, as we received it in parampara.
If we teach or practice dogma in the name of the parampara, we render a great disservice to our noble Vaisnava tradition.
If we stick to the science no matter the cost, Srila Prabhupada, and all the great Acaryas in our line of succession, will be pleased with us. That is the only fail-safe assurance of success on this path.
Quotes that are applicable to Essay:
- True patriotism hates injustice in it is own land more than anywhere else. Once we assuage our conscience by calling something a necessary evil, it begins to look more and more necessary and less and less evil.
- The integrity of man is measured by his conduct not his profession.
- When health is lost, something is lost; When character is lost, all is lost!
- Courage is contradictory because it consists of a strong desire to live, taking the form of a readiness to die.
- No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Effective communication begins when people start answering back.
- Feedback is the key to improvement. Encourage honest feedback and do not become defensive.
- The key to leadership is to accept responsibility.
- The lust for power is not rooted in strength, but in weakness.
- An answer should befit the question.
- After proper consideration one should begin a task.
- A decision should be taken on the unanimous opinion of three counselors.
- Counselors are the ones who see the true implication of what ought to be done and what ought not to be done.
- There is no penance greater than the observance of truth.
- Inaccessible leaders destroy the people.
- Easily accessible rulers please the people.
- A leader’s happiness is in the happiness of the people.
- The leader will not consider what benefits him personally, but what is pleasing and beneficial to the people.
- A leader’s character is seen in his servants and ministers.
- No one should be disrespected. Everyone’s opinion should be heard. The wise should heed even a child’s sensible words.