A Treatise; Making a “Case” for the Reconstitution of Srila Prabhupada’s “Mission”
Transcription of the DOM. Part 2
I have already awarded Sannyasa or the renounced order of life to some of my students and they have also got very important duties to perform in this connection.
The Sannyasis will travel to our different centers for preaching purpose as well as enlightening the members of the center for spiritual advancement. The Sannyasis will suggest for opening new centers in suitable places and the GBC will take action on it.
As was stipulated by the ad hoc committee, the function of the GBC will be as follows with particulars:
The purpose of the Governing Body Commission is to act as the instrument for the execution of the Will of His Divine Grace. And further,
- The GBC oversees all operations and management of ISKCON, as it receives direction from Srila Prabhupada and His Divine Grace has the final approval in all matters.
- His Divine Grace will select the initial 12 members of the GBC. In the succeeding years the GBC will be elected by a vote of all Temple Presidents who will vote for 8 from a ballot of all Temple presidents, which may also include any secretary who is in charge of a Temple.
Srila Prabhupada will choose to retain four commissioners. In the event of Srila Prabhupada ‘s absence, the retiring members will decide which four will remain.
In the succeeding years, the GBC will be elected by a vote of all Temple presidents, who will vote for 8, from a ballot of all Temple presidents, which may also include any secretary who is in charge of a Temple.
Those 8 with the greatest number of votes will be members for the next term of GBC.
Srila Prabhupada will choose to retain four commissioners.
In the event of Srila Prabhupada ‘s absence, the retiring members will decide which four will remain.
- The commissioners will serve for a period of 3 years, and they may be re-elected at the end of this period.
- The chairman is elected by the GBC for each meeting. He has no veto power, but in event of a vote tie, his vote will decide. The same will apply for votes cast by mail between regular meetings.
- Throughout the year, each of the commissioners will stay with His Divine Grace for one month at a time and keep the other commissioners informed of His Divine Grace’s instructions.
- The primary objective of the GBC is to organize the opening of new Temples and to maintain the established Temples.
- Advice will be given by the GBC in cases of real property purchases, which will be in the name of ISKCON, Inc. (Trucks or other vehicles will be purchased in the name of the local president).
- Removal of a Temple president by the GBC requires support by the local Temple members.
- The GBC has no jurisdiction in the publication of manuscripts, which will be handled by a separate committee; profits to be returned to Srila Prabhupada.
So far, my books are concerned, I am setting up a different body of management known as the BHAKTIVEDANTA BOOK TRUST. The trustees of this body are also members of the GBC, but their function is not dependent on the GBC.
ISKCON Press was created for the exclusive publication of my books and literatures and should be continued in that way.
During my absence no one shall live in my apartment.